Home

About Us

The Project

Resources

Research

Journal

Our People

Oral History

Shop

Contacts

Links







The Hauraki-Coromandel
Research Center & Archive

Situated on the Firth of Thames in the historic gold mining town of Thames, The Treasury is an archive and family research centre. It showcases the rich and diverse social and cultural history of the Hauraki region by collecting the records of our places and our people.

Visit us to find out about local families, local businesses and organisations, tangata whenua, and Captain Cook. Look through our collection of certificates, school and cemetery records, pioneer families, images, fiche, CDs, newspaper films, maps, people and places records, family histories, war records, mining and milling information, local history books...and more.

The Coromandel Heritage Trust


Open: 11.00am - 3.00pm

Monday, Thursday, Friday & Saturdays

Except public holidays

There is a charge to use the research facilities




Contact: Email The Treasury

Research: Email The Research Officer

PO Box 75, Thames 3540




07 868 8827

705 Queen Street - Thames

facebook

150th ANNIVERSARY OF THAMES GOLDFIELDS

THE TREASURY PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBITION

"Growing with Gold"

A photographic display of Thames from the earliest gold mining days ....This will be open for public viewing on the days The Treasury is open - Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11.00am until 3.00pm, beginning on the 1st August 2017 and running through the summer.

Venue: The Meeting Room, The Treasury, Queen Street, Thames

Price: Gold coin donation.







A FESTIVAL OF YESTERYEARS

THE FULL PROGRAM

THE TREASURY BOOK LAUNCH

THE TRUE TALES OF THAMES

SATURDAY 20th August at 2pm.

Join the contributors to the latest "True Tales" historical book, this one featuring the Thames area. The book is published by The Coromandel Heritage Trust and contains 100 stories and poems. The true stories were collected from people with links to Thames, both early and recent.

Venue: The Treasury, Queen Street, Thames


Pollen Street, Thames

The Coromandel Heritage Trust is please to announce the release of two new books for the 150th Anniversary of the Thames Goldfield.

This book includes a great variety of stories about life in Thames over the past 150 years, it’s people, its places, its organisations and businesses, interspersed with poems (some early) about the town and its inhabitants. The topics range from pioneer families Lawlor, Miller, Amodeo, Hooper, Mutton to name a few; businesses such as Brokenshires, McDonnells, Judds, The Golden Dragon and A & G Prices; sites such as the racecourse, St John’s Church, the Digger’s Hospital; as well as reminiscences of more recent life in Thames.

The book is 289 pages and a committee decision has been to keep the cost at the low price of $35 – part of our participation in the celebrations. Available for sale beginning at the BOOK LAUNCH on 20th August 2017 2pm at THE TREASURY. Pre-orders being taken.


This book tells the story of the Thames Goldfields when thousands of miners were digging for gold high in the ranges behind the Thames township, beginning 150 years ago in 1867. The book documents almost all the important claims on the Thames and Tapu Goldfields, describing the individual workings on each claim and the methods they used to find and retrieve the gold. In conjunction with the website GOLDRUSH ONLINE, it goes a long way towards answering the questions: Who were the diggers? Where was their claim? How did they find the gold? Did they find any?

Cost is $85 per edition plus postage (700 pages). A new abridged edition (300 pages) is now available at a cost of $50 plus postage.


We now have copies of both these first editions available to buy at The Treasury
or online at our Shop

The Coromandel Heritage Trust has been collecting stories from the entire region before they are lost. These are the stories that have been passed down to us and reflect the oral history of the families and communities of the Coromandel Peninsula and Hauraki Region.

FIRST EDITION NOW AVAILABLE


Stories covering everything from memories of living in the area, the floods, the shooting at Waikino School, to accounts of working in the Victoria Battery. Some wonderful old photos. Many of the stories have been collected by Bev and Homer Stubbs over the past 55 years with some authors no longer alive. There are 100 stories as well as some short anecdotes. The area covered is predominantly Waikino and Waitekauri, but also includes Owharoa and Golden Cross.

A REPRINTNG OF THIS POPULAR BOOK NOW AVAILABLE

Tales from the Coromandel's Eastern Seaboard include one about a special fishing lure, shipwreck stories, memories of road surveying, surfing on the coast and even Slipper Island.The area covered stretches from Whiritoa in the South, to Matarangi in the North. The True Tales is a gathering of very special tales of the coast and the communities of Whangamata, Opoutere, Pauanui, Tairua, Te Karo, Hahei, Whitianga and up to Kennedy’s Bay.

Cost is $35 per edition plus postage.
All proceeds go to the cost of printing and the on-going running expenses of The Treasury.

We now have copies of two new editions available to buy at The Treasury
or online at our Shop

SEARCH THE TREASURY WEBSITE:

Google Click this button to search TheTreasury.org.nz website

THE TREASURY INDEX AND RESEARCH SERVICE IS AVAILABLE ONLINE

Research

ALSO TREASURY PUBLICATIONS ARE FOR SALE AND AVAILABLE TO ORDER ONLINE

Shop

JOIN THE COROMANDEL HERITAGE TRUST

We encourage everyone, near and far, to join as a member of the Trust and to be a part of this great effort to preserve our heritage. Our running costs are ongoing and, since we do not receive any regular funding, we are dependant on entry fees, subscriptions and donations to cover them. To become a member, download an application form, fill it out and send it together with your subscription to The Coromandel Heritage Trust, PO Box 75, Thames 3540, New Zealand. A special Trust newsletter called Footprints will then keep you abreast of all the new developments and the many ways in which you could help.

A PUBLICATION FROM THE TREASURY NOW FOR SALE

FROM GOLD MINE TO FIRING LINE
'THE THAMES' AND THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.

Althea Barker, Meghan Hawkes, Kae Lewis, David Wilton, Russell Skeet, Roger Strong & Tracey Spence, all members of the Coromandel Heritage Trust (The Treasury) have written a book to commemorate the people from the Thames region who went to war, the families they left behind, and in particular the service men who did not return. This magnificent book is a great tribute to the people of the Thames region. Over 300 pages long and with many photographs, it is an excellent read.
A limited number of the first edition are now for sale at $50 a copy from The Treasury bookshop and can be ordered online. Email The Coromandel Heritage Trust or post to: The Treasury Publications, The Coromandel Heritage Trust, PO Box 75, Thames 3540, New Zealand. You will be advised of the total cost and how to make payment. Postage and packaging is additional.


Also read many articles in THE TREASURY JOURNAL and
OUR PEOPLE about the Thames experience in WWI including:

GALLIPOLI; IN THEIR OWN WORDS. by Eber Johnston, Arthur Phillips, Tom Gemming, Walter Greenslade and Harry Keesing.


Eber Johnston

Thomas Gemming

Walter Greenslade

Huke Royal

Herbert Ayling

Leslie Darrow

William Flower

Jack Gemming

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

WWI MEMORIAL FOREST PROJECT

Thames Coromandel District Council are planting a Memorial Forest in groves around the Coromandel to commemorate the New Zealand soldiers who were killed in the Great War 100 years ago.
WWI MEMORIAL FOREST WEBSITE

Commemoration ceremonies for the Gallipoli Campaign in 2015 to the Armistice celebrations in 2018 will continue for the next four years.



In conjunction with the New Zealand-wide WW100 project, The Treasury is making a special effort to collect records and stories of Thames, Coromandel and Hauraki WWI soldiers, doctors and nurses. If you can help us with any photos, written records and stories, letters home, telegrams, diaries, certificates, plaques, or mementoes of any of our World War I heroes, we would be delighted to hear from you.



The World War I Experience in Thames/Coromandel/Hauraki

THE HISTORY OF THE CARNEGIE FREE LIBRARY IN THAMES

The original foundation stone for The Carnegie Free Library was laid in 1905 by James McGowan, the Minister of Mines and Justice. Andrew Carnegie was a United States steel magnate and philanthropist who contributed £2000 to build a library for the people of Thames. The contractor, J Fyfe and Sons built the Library for £1964. It was one of only three remaining Carnegie Libraries in New Zealand when it last closed its doors in 1990.

Click to enlarge the photo.
The Honorable J. McGowan (Minister for Mines) laying the foundations stone for
the new Carnegie Free Public Library at a ceremony on 6th April 1905.


Opening Ceremony for the Carnegie Free Library:
The Mayor (Mr A. Burns) addressing the assemblage, Nov 2, 1905.
From the Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-1905-11-5.
©The content of the entire Treasury website is copyright to The Coromandel Heritage Trust and not for reproduction on any other website.



Contact: Webmaster, Kae Lewis: